Bird watchers habitually make it possible to bring nature to their homes and one of the best ways observe the habits and mannerisms of birds is to provide bird feeders. The best bird feeders for close observation are window bird feeders. A window bird feeder will literally give you a “birds eye view” of birds up close and personal. With window bird feeders you can witness behaviors otherwise missed such as feet, eyes, how they land, hover and launch.
Window Bird Feeder Benefits
Of course, window bird feeders are not as squirrel proof as bird feeders hung on a pole or post but the chance to get a better look at bird behavior may be worth the hassle of wasted and scattered seeds. A window bird feeder is easy to make and will entertain adults and children for hours. A basic homemade window bird feeder is easy to make and most items may already be in your home.
Basic Window Bird Feeder
- 20-ounce soda or water bottle
- Electrical or duct tape
- 12 to 15 ice cream or Popsicle sticks
- 3 or 4 suction cups attached to “S” hooks
- Hot glue gun
- Bird seed
1. Use a bottle that is clean and dry and be sure to remove the bottle’s label but keep the tap on.
2. Cut an opening into the front of the bottle but keep the top and bottom of the bottle as well as the plastic connecting the parts. You will basically want to cut a rectangle shape into the bottle.
3. Line the rectangular edge of the rectangular opening with the tape by making a trim. Be sure to fold the tape over.
4. Make a suitable size hole in the back of the bottle’s top and bottom section so that the suctions will fit when attached. Attach suctions.
5. Glue the ice cream sticks around the top half of the bottle overlapping so that they represent a roof.
6. Allow to dry then attach the bird feeder to window with suctions and fill with bird seed.